Are you satisfied with your hospital’s social media efforts? Perhaps it is time to review and possibly revise your social media strategy. Here are some social media strategy DO’s and DONT’s for healthcare marketers.
Common Mistakes in Hospital Social Media Strategy
FIrst of all, taking a look at what “NOT” to do can be helpful. So here are a few of the “DONTs”.
- Poor planning up front. “We need to be on Facebook” is not enough. Therefore, clearly define the goals, objectives, and metrics for measuring. After all, knowing what success looks like is important.
- No content calendar. Creating a content calendar is an essential part of the process. In addition, the calendar needs to coincide with other hospital communication efforts, local events, and even the seasons.
- No set schedule. Most posting is haphazard. Instead, post content at regular intervals, at opportune times.
- Don’t leave it to marketing. Effective social media execution requires participation from all levels of the facility. Therefore, involve the service line managers, physicians, HR, and department heads.
- No procedure for responding. Because patients and others in the community will attempt to engage with your hospital online, have a system for handling these comments and responses, ahead of time.
Essential Elements of an Effective Healthcare Social Media Strategy
In addition, your social media strategy should answer many of these questions.
- What are we trying to accomplish?
- What does success look like? Furthermore, how will we measure success?
- Who is responsible? In addition, who is on the team?
- What are the priorities?
- Who are the target audiences?
- Where will the content come from? Also, what about photos?
- How will we involve doctors and other professionals?
- What is the posting schedule?
- How and who will handle comments and responses?
- What level of integration will there be with other communication efforts and channels?
- What about boosted posts? And if so, what about budget?
In conclusion, if you are looking to improve your hospital’s social media efforts, a review of the basics may go a long way.
ABOUT JIMMY WARREN
Early to bed, early to rise, work like crazy and advertise! Jimmy Warren is president of TotalCom Marketing Communications and has over 30 years experience helping many kinds of businesses build a strong brand. A large portion of that experience has been helping hospitals and healthcare organizations. He loves the ‘weird’, interesting and extremely talented people he gets to work with every day – that includes co-workers and clients. Outside of work he enjoys his grand kids, traveling and any kind of good ole fashion Alabama sports. Roll Tide!